Ontario teachers heading for court

Local School Board and related Education and training issues
Forum rules
JohnW

Ontario teachers heading for court

Post #1 by JohnW » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

[b] Ontario teachers heading for court [/b]

[color=#999999][b]By Tom Godfrey, QMI Agency [/b][/color]

“We are currently reviewing the legality and constitutionality of the proposed legislation and are preparing for a legal challenge if it should become law,” Ken Coran, President of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF) said on Friday. “Our focus is on getting deals at the local level.”

Coran accused Education Minister Laurel Broten of not respecting the collective bargaining process.

“The government is showing contempt for the bargaining processes that are enshrined in law and that have always worked,” he said of Broten’s bill that was introduced on Thursday.

She proposed a new “Putting Students First Act” urging the education sector to reach an agreement before Aug. 31, when the current contract will trigger an automatic 5.5 per cent teacher pay hike, which she said would cost $473 million.

Premier Dalton McGuinty said on Friday that he will not declare legislation to impose a new contract on teachers and hinted the Legislature will be recalled the week of Aug. 26 to impose a two-year contract if teachers haven’t signed new contracts with school boards.

[img]http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeGlobalnav/invisible.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/tophits/tophits.cgi?path=http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/08/17/20113601.html&bid=canoe_CNEWS[/img]

Two big unions representing teachers say their members intend to return to the classroom in the fall and the government is creating a crisis where none exists.

“The Ontario government’s decision to propose unnecessary legislation against the education workers and school boards of this province is puzzling,” Coran said. “Real negotiations take time, and imposing impossible deadlines can lead to unwanted and unnecessary conflict and crisis.”

Sam Hammond, president of the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario, said the 76,000 teachers he represents are disappointed with ministry officials.

“To blatantly ignore constitutional rights and the labour relation rights in this province, it’s extremely disappointing and problematic,” he said.

If the deadline passes allowing teacher contracts to roll over on Sept. 1 and trigger pay raises, the proposed legislation allows the government to claw back the money.

[url=http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/08/17/20113601.html]Ontario teachers heading for court - Canada - Canoe.ca[/url]

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #2 by Budgetman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:55 am

Not that i want to give the dingbat ideas, but all dilton has to do is say collective bargaining in this country has gone down the toilet since the prime minister got re elected, expect the same level of treatment for provincial staff
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [panic

JohnW

Post #3 by JohnW » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Union, schmunion.

[backout

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #4 by Budgetman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:10 pm

with what has happened to Canada Post and Air Canada in the last year, unions don't have a leg to stand on anymore
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal

JohnW

Post #5 by JohnW » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:45 am

[strike [strike [strike [strike

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #6 by Budgetman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:04 pm

a quick back to work legislation and students will be learning again, just like they did canada post and air canada
[watch

JohnW

Post #7 by JohnW » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Phew.

Loco101

Post #8 by Loco101 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:43 pm

There will likely be strikes if the government imposes over bargaining. The government will call it illegal even though they are imposing rather than negotiating. McGuinty is in real trouble if he loses teacher support.

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #9 by Budgetman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:47 pm

he already is in trouble, windmills, Ontc, Ornge, teachers, he is starting to remind me of chretien
[watch

Loco101

Post #10 by Loco101 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Chretien was never unpopular enough to lose an election while in power.

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #11 by Budgetman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:54 pm

he knew when to leave
[watch

FrancoFun

Post #12 by FrancoFun » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:25 am

The teachers unions fund a large portion of Dalton's third party advertising through the Working Families Coalition. Losing their financial support will be a serious blow to the Tim Hudak negative ad campaign they ran last election and would surely have run during the next one.

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #13 by Budgetman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:43 am

so a practically honest campaign then, if he loses their support. i hope dalton falls thru a open man hole on bay street with his bum buddy rick!
[watch

Social Media

Return to “Education”