Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8 users.

Discuss Computer/Internet Topics/Cellphone Tech
DenBen
VIP
VIP

Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8 users.

Post by DenBen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:15 am

Interesting move...
It’s official, folks: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for existing Windows users—as long as you claim it quickly.

Kicking off the consumer-focused Windows 10 event in Redmond on Tuesday, Microsoft operating system chief Terry Myerson announced that current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free for one year after the operating system launches. Once you’ve claimed the upgrade, Microsoft will keep you updated for the supported lifetime of the device.

“We think of Windows 10 as a service,” Myerson said.

Is there a catch? Here's the fine print from the Windows 10 page on Microsoft's site:

“It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.”

The decision to make Windows 10 a free upgrade for existing users—at least for a limited time—makes sense. Windows 8 users have vocally expressed their displeasure with the operating system, prompting happy Windows 7 users to stay put on that OS. That hinders Microsoft's ability to execute its vision for a service-centric, cloud-connected future for Windows; making Windows 10 free could spur more users into embracing a modern Microsoft operating system.

And hey, it'd be weird to charge for Windows 10 after Windows 8 flopped so hard and Apple started giving away OS upgrades. Right?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/ ... users.html

JohnW

Re: Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8 users.

Post by JohnW » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:59 am

Free stuff !! [woohoo

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:04 pm

You need to have a working laptop with a valid Windows Product Key. Word on the street is that you have issues with both parts.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:46 pm

For now, someday I hope to rectumfry that situmachun.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Why da you youse type like dat?

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Peer pressure.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:16 pm

You have peers?

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Captain Steubings » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:43 pm

um John, fries do not go in your rectum

Riskynet

Post by Riskynet » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:22 pm

So when will we see this free Windows 10 ?

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:42 pm

The last time I heard was later in 2015. I'm guessing October.

The Technical Preview that is out now expires in April, so I would think they will have a Beta version out by then.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:43 pm

Captain Steubings wrote:um John, fries do not go in your rectum
He's a grown up.....if that's what gets him turned on.........

Riskynet

Post by Riskynet » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:07 pm

DenBen wrote:The last time I heard was later in 2015. I'm guessing October.

The Technical Preview that is out now expires in April, so I would think they will have a Beta version out by then.
Thanks

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Captain Steubings » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:28 pm

John was hoping the upgrade included a free laptop

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:30 pm

[snicker

MadTrapper
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MadTrapper » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:59 am

I'm calling BS.
Nothing is free.
There is always a "hook" somewhere to grab your money.
Gates didn't become a multi billionaire by giving away stuff that is truly free.
Many people are suckers for the latest and greatest gimmicks and the producers of computer hardware and software are money making fools as a result.
How does having a PC with attributes that rivals anything NASA has loaded with the latest operating system made low demand tasks like sending emails and web surfing which is what most people do with their computers any better?
I refuse to play that game and still have a laptop and a desktop PC happily running Windows XP.
Might get weary of Microsofts gimmickery and abandon Windows altogether and go with one of the Linux subspecies SOON.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:35 am

Gates doesn't run the company anymore.

XP? Hope you are protecting yourself properly.

I repaired PCs for almost 14 years when I lived in Timmins. There were a very few XP 'die-hards" left, usually those that had no money to upgrade. They understood what they had to do to keep themselves safe. I have no problem with that. Technology changes...always did, always will. The vast majority don't use their PCs only to send email or web surfing.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:49 am

MadTrapper wrote: I refuse to play that game and still have a laptop and a desktop PC happily running Windows XP.
Might get weary of Microsofts gimmickery and abandon Windows altogether and go with one of the Linux subspecies SOON.
Pete has a new friend!!

Kramer
Donator
Donator

Post by Kramer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:54 am

[teehee

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:58 am

JohnW wrote:
MadTrapper wrote: I refuse to play that game and still have a laptop and a desktop PC happily running Windows XP.
Pete has a new friend!!
[gp

I was thinking the same.

JosephMcCarthy

Post by JosephMcCarthy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:53 pm

MadTrapper wrote:I'm calling BS.
Nothing is free.
Gates didn't become a multi billionaire by giving away stuff that is truly free.
Many people are suckers for the latest and greatest gimmicks and the producers of computer hardware and software are money making fools as a result.
How does having a PC with attributes that rivals anything NASA has loaded with the latest operating system made low demand tasks like sending emails and web surfing which is what most people do with their computers any better?
I refuse to play that game and still have a laptop and a desktop PC happily running Windows XP.
they will offer it free because windows 8 was such a fiasco and also to compete with Apple who have been offering free OS upgrades for a few years now.

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Captain Steubings » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:54 pm

unless it is Pete - he's been known to make fake profiles. :p

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:18 pm

Captain Steubings wrote:unless it is Pete - he's been known to make fake profiles. :p
[think

Actually, It's not though.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:22 pm

JosephMcCarthy wrote:
Nothing is free.
they will offer it free because windows 8 was such a fiasco and also to compete with Apple who have been offering free OS upgrades for a few years now.
[gp

Why should MS still be supporting a 13 year old OS anyways? For most folks, its the idea that things might have to *gulp* change and that's what freaks them out.

MadTrapper
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MadTrapper » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Because it does what 90% of PC users need it to do.
Surf the net and send and receive emails.
Of course higher end, more sophisticated hardware and software platforms should be available for advanced/power users.
But realistically how many of us are in that category?
My old computer won't run the latest Duke Nukem video games but I have no interest in that high end gaming stuff.
I much prefer to spend my leisure time outside walking in the fresh air rather than being parked in front of a pc monitor and will likely live longer and feel better as a result.

I understand why pc software and hardware follow the same temporary lifetime marketing paradigm as automobiles.
The profit is in keeping customers buying something new.
That so-called [*gulp* change] is for the sake of the bottom line rather than technical necessity.
If you buy the Microsoft marketing mantra that concern about customer data security is the prime mover behind the changes I own a mall on Hwy 101 that I'll sell you really cheap.

DenBen wrote:
JosephMcCarthy wrote:
Nothing is free.
[gp

Why should MS still be supporting a 13 year old OS anyways? For most folks, its the idea that things might have to *gulp* change and that's what freaks them out.

MadTrapper
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MadTrapper » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:03 pm

DenBen wrote:Gates doesn't run the company anymore.

XP? Hope you are protecting yourself properly.

I repaired PCs for almost 14 years when I lived in Timmins. There were a very few XP 'die-hards" left, usually those that had no money to upgrade. They understood what they had to do to keep themselves safe. I have no problem with that. Technology changes...always did, always will. The vast majority don't use their PCs only to send email or web surfing.
YUP!! I'm protecting myself both digitally with software and hardware infrastructure and financially from Microsofts aggressive marketing and gouging.

I must confess that I was given a OEM copy of Windows 7 Ultimate bought from Tigerdirect for Xmas and have installed it on the desktop pc I'm using now. [clap

How many XP users have used XP for years without downloading a single security update from Microsoft? [omg
How many will use Windows 7, 8 & 10 when it comes out for years without downloading and installing the security updates? [omg

Asked a friend (another Luddite like myself) the other day if he was caught up in his security updates for his XP Professional desktop pc.
His reply was "Huh?, what updates?"
I guesstimate that probably half or more of canvassed Microsoft Windows users would reply the same.

Social Media

Login  •  Register