The Steve Black "To Do List" -tT official thread

The Mayor and Elected Officals can

respond here.............

Forum rules
Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #926 by Budgetman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:33 pm

and you are calling a double standard when you can vote in ward 5 and your own ward. I only get one vote out here. I think you should just get one vote for the ward you are in and be done with it. just cause you can't vote for ward 2 instead of voting in your own ward, thats not a double standard. voting in 2 wards like you are with your ward 5 vote NOW THATS A DOUBLE STANDARD!
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [panic

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #927 by DenBen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:56 pm

?

I'm in ward 4. I get one vote for ward 4 only. That's it..... Except of course, for Mayor and school boards.

Back in the 2000 election my wife and I lived in ward 5. We got to pick four candidates in ward 5. So four votes with a max of 1 vote per person.

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #928 by Budgetman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:10 pm

And she is calling this double standard Den we are the ones being screwed lol we keep getting doody or is it curly, or do they have us by the short and curlys

dou·ble stand·ard

[i]noun[/i]

noun: [b]double standard[/b]; plural noun: [b]double standards[/b]

a rule or principle that is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups.
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #929 by DenBen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:13 pm

[quote="Kegan"][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080]Then it's no doubt the same in my Ward..... one vote for my own Ward, Mayor and School Board. My mistake folks and humble apologies!! Knew I had more than one vote and was sure I voted for Steve Black.... maybe that's because I wanted to. [yes . Chalk it up to a 'Senior Moment' Sorry about that Folks.... DUH!!!!!

But getting back to one point. I'm assuming I'm right in stating that John Curley or his family cannot vote for him..... [/color]
[/font][/quote]

Correct.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #930 by DenBen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:14 pm

[quote="Budgetman"]And she is calling this double standard Den we are the ones being screwed lol we keep getting doody or is it curly, or do they have us by the short and curlys

dou·ble stand·ard

[i]noun[/i]

noun: [b]double standard[/b]; plural noun: [b]double standards[/b]

a rule or principle that is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups.[/quote]

[aah

She admitted the mistake, she apologized. Let it go.

Kramer
Donator
Donator

Post #931 by Kramer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:20 pm

[sad

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #932 by Budgetman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:51 pm

i didn't see your apology before i posted that, i only saw it now.
[watch

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #933 by DenBen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Your posts were only two minutes apart.

Tell her you're sorry, Pete.

JosephMcCarthy

Post #934 by JosephMcCarthy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Anyone in Ward 5 who votes for more than 1 candidate is essentially cancelling out his votes. To elect someone, you need to cast only 1 vote, thereby not having others who you don`t want to win gain votes.
Put on your boxing gloves and step into my ring!

Riskynet

Post #935 by Riskynet » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:14 pm

[quote="JosephMcCarthy"]Anyone in Ward 5 who votes for more than 1 candidate is essentially cancelling out his votes. To elect someone, you need to cast only 1 vote, thereby not having others who you don`t want to win gain votes.[/quote]

There's no way that would work Joe.....you have no choice but to vote the total amount of candidates that is said on the ballot or your vote won't even count.
Near North Photography

[b][url]https://www.facebook.com/nearnorthphotography[/url][/b]

Steve B.
3rd Level Gold
3rd Level Gold

Post #936 by Steve B. » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:48 pm

You can vote for up to 4 in ward 5 but don't have to.

I disagree with Joseph and vote for 4 even as a candidate. They don't cancel each other out if you vote for the 4 that get in. However by voting for 4 you do have the potential that your 4th choice may end up bumping one of your higher choices.

That being said I vote with the concept that I want to help what I view as the top 4 choices get elected. If I lose to one of my other 3 choices by 1 vote would kick myself if it bumped me out of a council position.

However can look at it in the view if you don't use 3 votes it does not take advantage of the opportunity to offset votes for your 2nd - 4th choice and if your last choice beats one of your other choices by 1 vote you would likely kick yourself for not using votes 2-4.

Riskynet

Post #937 by Riskynet » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:07 am

[2faint .................... [notes
Near North Photography

Kramer
Donator
Donator

Post #938 by Kramer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:35 am

[quote="DenBen"]Your posts were only two minutes apart.

Tell her you're sorry, Pete.[/quote]

[4wait

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #939 by DenBen » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:55 am

You'll probably be waiting until you are [old

JosephMcCarthy

Post #940 by JosephMcCarthy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:43 am

you need to talk to your political strategists a bit more Steve. The more people who vote only for you in Ward 5, the better your chances of getting elected. Convincing people to do that is not easy. The reason people keep getting reelected in Ward 5 is because people CAN vote for 4 and vote for the names they recognize.

JosephMcCarthy

Post #941 by JosephMcCarthy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:44 am

[quote="Riskynet"]There's no way that would work Joe.....you have no choice but to vote the total amount of candidates that is said on the ballot or your vote won't even count.[/quote]

You are [u]absolutely wrong[/u] on that one RiskyNet.

FrancoFun

Post #942 by FrancoFun » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:36 am

[quote="JosephMcCarthy"]you need to talk to your political strategists a bit more Steve. The more people who vote only for you in Ward 5, the better your chances of getting elected. Convincing people to do that is not easy. The reason people keep getting reelected in Ward 5 is because people CAN vote for 4 and vote for the names they recognize.[/quote]You are correct (in my opinion).

Steve B.
3rd Level Gold
3rd Level Gold

Post #943 by Steve B. » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:20 pm

[quote="JosephMcCarthy"]you need to talk to your political strategists a bit more Steve. The more people who vote only for you in Ward 5, the better your chances of getting elected. Convincing people to do that is not easy. The reason people keep getting reelected in Ward 5 is because people CAN vote for 4 and vote for the names they recognize.[/quote]

I don't disagree with you from a personal strategic standpoint. If the only goal is to get yourself elected and be there than yes it makes perfect strategic sense. My disagreement is that voters should do that as a whole as any individual candidate can only do so much so if you don't vote for the other 3 that are aligned mostly than chances of real change happening are slim.

If I run again this time I will vote for myself and the 3 others that I believe will help make the changes I want to make. Is it a risk individually perhaps, but I would rather have the chance to make some changes in the 4 years ahead than vote strategically to protect my own seat. It's a long 4 years if you lose a majority of votes 5-3 or 6-2, when it comes to non unanimous decisions. Kind of like being in opposition of a majority government, doesn't matter how much change you want to make if the others aren't aligned it isn't going to happen.

If I decide that there isn't 4 aligned significantly with my view of the future running in ward 5 than I won't use all 4 votes.

I would also say that if voting for all 4 works in the incumbents favor than I don't think many did this last time as you had 3 non incumbents get in ward 5 so the statement that most people do use all 4 doesn't line up with last elections results if you believe it works in the incumbents favor.

I believe it likely works in the new candidates favor, in that people support the one or two incumbents they like most and then vote for some new faces. If everyone just votes one I think most pick their favourite incumbent and than it is hard for new candidates to build up enough support to pass them.

Loco101

Post #944 by Loco101 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:48 pm

I've only ever voted for one or two candidates in Ward 5. There are usually never more than two that I want to win anyway so I'm not going to help others in an equal proportion.

Kramer
Donator
Donator

Post #945 by Kramer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:59 pm

I always only vote for one person in ward 5. It's like giving them 4 votes!

Steve B.
3rd Level Gold
3rd Level Gold

Post #946 by Steve B. » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:00 pm

[quote="Loco101"]I've only ever voted for one or two candidates in Ward 5. There are usually never more than two that I want to win anyway so I'm not going to help others in an equal proportion.[/quote]

That is a fair reason to vote for 1 or 2. No issues there.

Riskynet

Post #947 by Riskynet » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:43 pm

[quote="JosephMcCarthy"]You are [u]absolutely wrong[/u] on that one RiskyNet.[/quote]

I stand corrected Joe. If I knew you could to that I would of done it a while back. Always thought by doing this you were throwing your vote away.
Near North Photography

JohnW

Post #948 by JohnW » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:13 pm

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAT_BuJAI70]Throw your vote away - YouTube[/url]

Dblur57
Donator
Donator

Post #949 by Dblur57 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Bottom line... If you want new faces, you have to "plug" your vote on a newbie and hope for the best..

Riskynet

Post #950 by Riskynet » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:28 pm

[b]Steven Black[/b]

[quote]Great long weekend with the family! Discussing plans for October election with them and will make announcement tomorrow night or Tuesday morning! Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend!
[/quote]
Near North Photography

Social Media

Return to “City Hall Responds”