FOREST FIRE DANGER, REPORTED FIRES AND RESTRICTED FIRE ZONES - tT official thread

Discuss wacky weather and other wacky stuff here
Forum rules
Loco101

Post #26 by Loco101 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:53 am

[b]RESTRICTED FIRE ZONE (RFZ) REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF NORTHEASTERN ONTARIO!

Current Fire Danger by MNR district as of May 21st UPDATED:[/b]

Timmins: Extreme (RFZ)

Cochrane: High (RFZ)

Hearst: High (RFZ)

Chapleau: Extreme (RFZ)

Kirkland Lake: Extreme (RFZ)

Source: [url=http://forest.lrc.gov.on.ca/AFFM/fire/interactivemap/fireHazard_English.htm]Forest Fire Danger Map for Ontario[/url]

Loco101

Post #27 by Loco101 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:23 am

[b]RESTRICTED FIRE ZONE (RFZ) REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF NORTHEASTERN ONTARIO!

Current Fire Danger by MNR district as of May 22nd UPDATED:[/b]

Timmins: Moderate (RFZ)

Cochrane: Low (RFZ)

Hearst: High (RFZ)

Chapleau: Low (RFZ)

Kirkland Lake: High (RFZ)

Source: [url=http://forest.lrc.gov.on.ca/AFFM/fire/interactivemap/fireHazard_English.htm]Forest Fire Danger Map for Ontario[/url]

I must add that the fire danger can vary greatly in each MNR fire district. For example, I spent the weekend near Foleyet and it only rained for a whole 2 minutes last night. It is within the Chapleau district which is currently rated as low danger yet it is definitely not that in Foleyet.

Loco101

Post #28 by Loco101 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:24 am

[img]http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/forestfire/fire_fdr.jpg[/img]

Loco101

Post #29 by Loco101 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:46 am

Just copying what I posted in another thread here in this general forest fire thread I created:

I too have been shocked and disappointed because of the lack of communication and emergency plan in our city for such a potentially dangerous event. And many many others feel the same way. There is absolutely no excuse for the way our city handled the forest fire between Timmins and South Porcupine. Claiming that it was because it was May Run is not an excuse and advising us to follow local media is ineffective as there was no coverage during the critical moments. Many people have lost trust in all of our local media to begin with.

I'm not placing any blame on any specific individuals at this time but I'm severely criticizing how our municipal government didn't show any leadership or communication as a whole. Why was there no police chief (or deputy or acting) or fire chief (or deputy or acting) or city official making any public statements, advisories or evacuation notices? Why were there no regular updates being provided? The city, police and fire dept. all have websites where information can be communicated. Why didn't the city make an emergency broadcast over our radio and TV stations? What exactly happened when Timmins city firefighters were called to the fire? What was the MNR's involvement or reaction? Were firefighters put in more danger than they should have been? There are many more questions that need to be asked.

Timmins has a Municipal Emergency Plan and the PDF document can be found here: [url=http://www.timmins.ca/wp-content/uploads/ti_emergency_plan.pdf]http://www.timmins.ca/wp-content/upl...gency_plan.pdf[/url]

Read Section 6 of the plan and see if you feel that the plan was followed or not!

JosephMcCarthy

Post #30 by JosephMcCarthy » Tue May 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps there was no real emergency.. .hear me out for a minute.

Beyond the video you have seen of the fire where it jumps the road, i have spoken to a police officer who was on the scene who said it was much less spectacular than that after he got on scene. Beyond the occasional crown, it was mostly ground cover that was burning. Beyond some homes on Carium road, there were some people evacuated to be safe.

People on facebook are making this out to be a much huger issue that it actually was. No homes were threatened and the fire was quickly brought under control.

I also would like to see some improvements of communications by the city so that the proper information gets out in a timely manner, but I'm not ready to crucify them just yet. The fire last week near the trailer park was closer to threatening property than this one ever was.
Put on your boxing gloves and step into my ring!

Mr. Rogers

Post #31 by Mr. Rogers » Tue May 22, 2012 12:25 pm

I tend to differ Joseph. Look how big and fast the Timmins 9 fire got in just one night.

Loco101

Post #32 by Loco101 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:04 pm

I disagree as well Joe. It was a very serious emergency being so close to houses and right along the main road of Timmins where there is always traffic.

The reason why the fire didn't go further than it did was because the strong Southwest wind suddenly died down not long after the fire had started. The wind played the largest in roll in making the fire spread quickly at the beginning. I'm happy that our city firefighters who were there took it on even though it was very unpredictable and dangerous.

As far as forest fires go I do agree that it was a small fire but size doesn't matter when it's that close to people. Again, fire is very unpredictable and especially so in windy conditions. It's especially worse when many nearby people were not notified and there was no official communication made. Only social media informed residents and there were a lot of rumours and inaccurate information.

JosephMcCarthy

Post #33 by JosephMcCarthy » Tue May 22, 2012 3:40 pm

The only thing Social media did was fan the flames of stupidity. Yes, there is good info there but most of it is falsehoods and innuendo.
Put on your boxing gloves and step into my ring!

Loco101

Post #34 by Loco101 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:32 pm

That is why our city should have followed its emergency plan and had somebody making announcements.

Loco101

Post #35 by Loco101 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Friends in Kirkland Lake have told me that their town is really well organized and is communicating information on a regular basis to the public. It is done through their Emergency Management Team. We are supposed to have one in Timmins but I haven't heard any mention of it.

Hourly radio updates as well as proper website updates, Facebook link page is being provided by the town. MNR updates are also shown. The KL Mayor declared a state of emergency yesterday and schools have been closed.

Just to show what KL did on their website: [url=http://www.discoverkl.ca/index.php?id=154]Fire[/url]

Notice there are many updates in a day and meetings are organized where anybody can attend. They also state what radio station will have the updates. The information also CLEARLY states what areas are being evacuated, which are on standby, how close the fire is, who is working on it and where and it gives additional safety tips.

WAKE UP TIMMINS and realize that our city failed and is still failing and that action must be taken NOW for better communication so that we don't put people in danger!

Loco101

Post #36 by Loco101 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:03 am

Current Fire Danger by MNR district as of May 23 (morning) UPDATED:[/b]

Timmins: Moderate (RFZ)

Cochrane: Moderate (RFZ)

Hearst: Low (RFZ)

Chapleau: Moderate (RFZ)

Kirkland Lake: Moderate (RFZ)

For Canada:

[img]http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/forestfire/fire_fdr.jpg[/img]

FrancoFun

Post #37 by FrancoFun » Wed May 23, 2012 3:18 pm

There was a fire. The fire department responded. People in need of notification were contacted. There's always room for improvement, but they didn't do a bad job. Comparing the situation to Kirkland Lake isn't fair. Homes weren't in imminent danger. Had they been, I'm sure the City would have responded accordingly.

Huxley
2nd Level Gold
2nd Level Gold

Post #38 by Huxley » Wed May 23, 2012 8:07 pm

I'd say that Facebook did more good than harm. Aside from people in the immediate area, no one would have known about ANY fires had it not been for the endless reposts of photos and videos taken by residents and passersby. Social media definitely was the catalyst that led to me and my girlfriend's family evacuating our cottage on Kenogamissi Sunday evening. Sure there was lots of misinformation, but the misinformation didn't do any real harm, did it?
"The unexamined life is not worth living."

-Socrates

Loco101

Post #39 by Loco101 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:23 am

[quote="FrancoFun"]There was a fire. The fire department responded. People in need of notification were contacted. There's always room for improvement, but they didn't do a bad job. Comparing the situation to Kirkland Lake isn't fair. Homes weren't in imminent danger. Had they been, I'm sure the City would have responded accordingly.[/quote]

Hello! Homes were in imminent danger! It happened on our busiest road and it's not far at all from houses. And it was very similar situation to Kirkland Lake except that the Rae Hill fire was much smaller. If the fire could jump the highway as quickly as it did imagine what could have happened if the wind hadn't died down that evening!

The firefighters did their jobs properly and I am not upset with them. It was the fact that no city official (Mayor, CAO, Police Chief, Fire Chief, City Clerk, or any deputy position working with and of those) took charge and provided proper information to the public.

Kramer
Donator
Donator

Post #40 by Kramer » Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 am

Good Post Loco! [gp

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #41 by Budgetman » Thu May 24, 2012 8:37 am

as i stated in the other thread,the only local media person that seemed to be on scene was Mr.Gillis of the Times. the others had their hands tied either by corporate or other reasons.
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [panic

Carrie

Post #42 by Carrie » Thu May 24, 2012 8:40 am

[quote="Loco101"]Hello! Homes were in imminent danger! It happened on our busiest road and it's not far at all from houses. And it was very similar situation to Kirkland Lake except that the Rae Hill fire was much smaller. If the fire could jump the highway as quickly as it did imagine what could have happened if the wind hadn't died down that evening!

The firefighters did their jobs properly and I am not upset with them. It was the fact that no city official (Mayor, CAO, Police Chief, Fire Chief, City Clerk, or any deputy position working with and of those) took charge and provided proper information to the public.[/quote]

[gp

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post #43 by Captain Steubings » Thu May 24, 2012 9:01 am

hope nothing happens today - with all the newpaper sites down. (which apparently they must have EVERY northern sun newspaper site on the same server/script)

Loco101

Post #44 by Loco101 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks for backing me up you guys! I hope we can get councillor Steve's attention on here about the issue. Again, we were so lucky that there were no deaths or injuries or loss of homes.

As for today, I hope everybody is safe and that communication is good. Saw MNR crews working along the highway between Timmins and SoPo. Hope that nothing flares up there!

Capt: that is indeed scary that Sun Media's newspapers sites are not working on a day like today! I wish that Len Gillis would start his own newspaper or media company.

truenortherner

Post #45 by truenortherner » Thu May 24, 2012 9:26 am

Timmins Today has had pretty good updates from what it seems. I know it's not the mess or the times but at least the info is coming through somewhere.

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #46 by Budgetman » Thu May 24, 2012 9:57 am

from what i heard, Fire Chief Pintar was on the scene, however, since he was in charge of directing the fire crews, I think he should not be in charge of addressing the media at anytime unless his main job in directing the fire crews or any of his other duties as Fire Chief is at least under control. INHNRO i think that his job as Fire Chief comes before addressing any media concerns. If that means ignoring the media and concentrating on dealing with the fires and evacuating the nearby homes without putting a news release out every 5 minutes, i say we the public that aren't near the areas impacted by the fire, can wait. If we don't hear anything or get a knock at OUR doors, then we can safely assume that if its not directly next to us or near us then we are not at risk. I count on the Emergency services to work fast, and if that work involves keeping their eyes on the immediate areas, then who am i to argue that they should be putting out media releases every 5 minutes, if those 5 minutes can better be used at the emergency situation. from the pictures i saw, i knew the fire department was on the scene and doing their best to save the city. I don't need to know that they are working their best to keep the fire from destroying residences, due to the fact that is why they are out there fighting the fire. if all their manpower is fighting the fires i don't want one scurrying off to make a media release.
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [panic

Carrie

Post #47 by Carrie » Thu May 24, 2012 10:57 am

Tim Trevena is sharing a picture today on facebook, of the fire at Rae Hill, which shows a moose walking through the devastation.

We worry about ourselves, our homes and our property, and sometimes forget the negative impact it will have on the wildlife also. It's heartbreaking.

If you guys get a chance to check it out, It would be worth it.

Maybe someone here, with some computer skills can post the picture? That would be nice. :)

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post #48 by Captain Steubings » Thu May 24, 2012 11:10 am

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/470016_10151777758030118_849845117_24328884_1591208781_o.jpg[/img]

Carrie

Post #49 by Carrie » Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 am

Thank you Cpt!!!!! :)

Loco101

Post #50 by Loco101 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:58 am

Awesome pic!!!

Social Media

Return to “Wacky Weather and Stuff”